STACK release process notes
Note, these notes are designed for developers releasing a new version through the Moodle plugin database. They are probably not useful for anyone else.
Release needs to be done for the whole "set". Do we increment the numbers of all components, e.g. behaviours, or just the qtype_stack?
- for key releases, we do them all.
- for bug fixes just the question type.
0. Code on github
The STACK code is stored on github, e.g. in https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack. In general the code branches are arranged as follows.
masterbranch should always be either (i) an official release, (ii) contain minor but critical bug fixes, or (iii) contain updates to the docs. The STACK documentation on https://docs.stack-assessment.org/ auto-builds from the master branch, and so it is normal to update the docs between official releases.
devbranch normally contains features which will in the next release. The
devbranch should normally work out of the box, but expect unfinished features and bugs!
- Development of new features often takes place in a specific branch named to correspond to an issue in the github issue tracker, normally forked from
dev. E.g. if you raise issue 802 then code related to this can start life in a branch
iss802. If you put
#802in the commit message then github will pick this up in the issue discussion. New features can be merged back into
devbefore they are completely finished, but please do add documentation, unit tests etc. first and make sure we at least have consensus on the design!
Unless you want to discuss something confidential with the developers, please do raise issues on github!
1. Pre-release checks
- Check docs
- development history and development track
php cli/answertests_docs.phpto update the static docs about answertests.
doc/maintenance.phpto search for broken links etc.
- check both the Moodle versions, and the required number. (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases)
- Check version numbers on stackmaxima.mac.
php cli/ast_test_generator.phpto confirm if auto-generated tests have not changed.
- Run unit tests.
- Run code checker.
- Commit all changes to git, e.g. "Update version number for the 4.4.2 release."
2. Create new tag with version name
- Push to GitHub.
- Push tags to GitHub
- Tortoise git: pulldown from push
git tag -a v4.4.2 -m "Update version number for the 4.4.2 release."
git push --tags
3. Moodle plugins database entry for the plugin
Add a new version to the Moodle plugins database entry for the plugin.
If version number does not appear in the dropdown, then upload it from GitHub.
- Upload zipfile
- Username = maths
- Choose appropriate plugin
- Choose tags
- Choose tag number
- Rename root directory +
- Fix README filename +
- Choose supported Moodle.
Then check updated information on the form.
(don't add "master" to branch info)